Wednesday, February 10, 2010

BEING PREPARED FOR NETWORKING












What Do You Take With You Every Day?

When I leave the house, I have a sign on the door leading to the garage with a list of all the things I must take with me:

1. Business cards: how many do I need for the event? Which cards (if I have more than one style that I use) am I taking? Do I have my business card holder in my purse? Do I have a table top holder filled with cards?

2. Flyers: do I have information sheets that I can hand to someone if they have a question about an event I have mentioned, or a benefit of my product, or how to contact me?

3. Samples: do I have samples or examples of my product that I can give to someone who asks? Or do I have examples of the product I am marketing, so people can actually see what they can expect to get?

4. Calendar: I always carry my calendar, so that I can make appointments to follow up with people I meet. If you have your appointment calendar in your phone or PDA, make sure you update it, or sync it with the calendar on your computer daily so it is always up to date.

5. Phone: Yes, I have actually gone off to an appointment without my cell phone. So, be sure to check that off your list before you leave the house.

6. Directions: do you have the address of the appointment you are going to? Have you a map, or directions, or a GPS unit that can help make sure you get to where you are going? Be sure to double check with the person you are meeting to see if there are any snags with getting there. One of the meetings I went to last fall was at someone's home, and both the online directions and GPS unit did not acomodate a closed-off street that made it really tricky to find. Unfortunately my hostess did not alert me to this possibility, and I didn't think to ask.

7. Food/Snacks: if you will be out all day, or past a mealtime, do you need to take some snacks with you? This ends up being an issue for me sometimes, so I usually pack a lunch if I am going to be gone from the house for an extended period.

8. Computer and Computer Accessories: Have you ever left the house with your laptop in its case, and when you got to your appointment realized you didn't have the cords you needed? That can put a real damper on a presentation.

9. Outfitting Your Car: One way to make sure you have what you need is to always carry a portable file or roll-around file in your car that has your materials and/or products. And be sure to put any portable display in the car before you leave for your appointment (see pictures).

When you are this organized your days and appointments will go smoother, but be sure at least once a week to go through your file and restock what you have given away.

Happy Networking.

Kaaren


No comments:

Post a Comment