Saturday, June 27, 2009

Think and Grow Rich

Ever since I started in Network Marketing, I have heard "Leaders are Readers."

Even though every company will tell you that there is a system, and if you just "work the system" all will be well, it isn't long before you realize you MUST learn more about your new profession. Yes, I said profession. Once we decide to start introducing people to Xango, or Monavie, or Arbonne, or Nuskin, or Mary Kay products, we are embarking on a new profession.

My training and profession for 30 years was in Medicine. And I got to the point, where I just couldn't fight the insurance companies, and the medical groups anymore. I had always built my practice on advocacy for patients, and it was getting more and more difficult for me to do my job. Every time I went to the clinic, I had to advocate for something a patient needed, and I was discouraged. I needed a change, a new direction and passion, and a different way to help people.

Fortuitusly, I was introduced to Network Marketing at a time when I was open to change, and to a nutritional company that seemed a good fit with my medical backgroud. I charged ahead. I got every bit of coaching I could, and I started reading, and studying. One of the classics that I came across early on is Think and Grow Rich. It was published for the first time in 1937. It is one that is mandatory reading for anyone who wants to be successful in our profession.

Napoleon Hill lays it out there, and states very clearly in Chapter 2, if you want to be successful there are a few principles that are essential:

  1. Decide exactly how much money you want to earn
  2. Decide what you will give up to achieve your goal
  3. Establish a date when you will have the money
  4. Plan for getting to your goal, and begin at once
  5. Write out a clear consise statment of 1-4
  6. Read your statement aloud morning and evening. See, feel and believe you have achieved your goal.

Recent books like The Secret are building on these same ideas in an updated form. It all comes back to this: know exactly what you want, know what you will give up to get it, write it down, take action, and see, feel and believe you have already achieved your goal.

Does this strike a chord with you? What is your impression of Think and Grow Rich?

Kaaren

No comments:

Post a Comment